Tuesday 11 December 2012

Refilling the jug


So many people, in so many jobs, lifestyles, callings, pour themselves out for others every day. They do it willingly, lovingly, without thought for themselves.

In my job I'm called both to pour out love and compassion, and to see where others do the same. Very often I see loving people giving of themselves so generously that there is very little left at the end of the day. The danger in that is that once everything is poured out there is nothing left for oneself or for others.

So I regularly talk to people in all sorts of callings about the image of a jug. They are called  - as I am - to pour themselves out for others. But the jug is only any good if it is full. It is no good working so hard, so long, that there is nothing left to give. And empty jug is pretty, perhaps - but even a pretty jug is merely an ornament if there is nothing in it.

For a calling is to be lived to the full, we each need to take time regularly to refill the jug. That is precisely why Our Father God commanded that we take a day a week to stop work and rest. Holidays, retreats, time for personal prayer, moments to reflect, to look at the view, watch the butterfly or take a breath - all of these things are essentials, not luxuries. The more you are called to give, the more you need to ensure that your jug is full.

This blog is about refilling my jug. It is my opportunity to step back from the ceaseless round of parish life and take a good look at what God is up to in it. It is my space for reflection on what my jug contains and where it is poured out. If it helps others to refill their jugs too, I'll be absolutely delighted.

No comments:

Post a Comment